11/26/10

Day 19

Mt. 20-22

Matthew 21:37 - "But after [the landowner] sent his son to [the renters], saying, 'They will respect my son.'"
What a horrifyingly accurate picture of the choice God made. He sent prophet after prophet, all of whom were abused and killed. Every time I read this parable I want to yell out "don't do it!!" The son...oh, the Son.

Matthew 22:12 - "And [the king] said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?' And he was speechless."
This man did not see it coming. He got in, thank goodness, and was ready to eat with everyone else. Unfortunately too many people today have the same attitude: God will let me into heaven if I just say the right words to get me in the gate. Barely scraping by is not good enough for God, though. He calls us to higher living, which is ironically epitomized by dying to self, and casts out all those who are not clothed as people who live in such a way. This man was surprised. It makes me wonder how many people will be surprised. "For many are called, but few are chosen."


Catch-up:
Job 22

Job 22:22, 23a - "Please receive instruction from His mouth, and establish His words in your heart. If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored...."
I think I've been too stubborn lately to truly get better. I need to establish His words in my heart and heed His instructions (He's a lot smarter than me). All I need do is return and He will restore me. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment