2/12/09

Day 24 - February 12/09

Judges 1-4

These first four chapters begin a pattern that will continue through most of Israel's history.
1. The Israelites do evil in the sight of the Lord.
2. God becomes angry and hands them over to a foreign nation.
3. The people cry out, and God redeems them (usually through a judge or king).
Then, as long as the redeemer is alive, the people abide by God's laws and live devoted to Him. As soon as new generation rises up who does not know what God has done, the pattern starts again.

Somehow, the problem seems to come when all who lived during the time of God's redemption die and a new generation is alive. Somewhere along the way, the mightiness of God is not passed down through the generations. As long as Israel obeys, God allows them to live in the land, but the second they don't He has them removed or occupied. You'd think they would learn.

You'd think I would learn. How many times have I disobeyed and had to live with consequences, only to go back and do the same thing the second I'm forgiven? Thankfully, God is merciful and forgives me time and time again.

God, please help me to learn from these passages. Don't let my heart be hardened to the truth you're trying to reveal to me. I am pathetic at living up to Your calling, but I'm asking for You to be my strength every single day. I need it to be the person You want me to be.
Amen.

He loves me where I'm at, but refuses to leave me there. What an amazing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment