2/3/09

Day 17 - February 3/09

Joshua 18

At this point in the story, there are still seven tribes that have not received their land. Joshua sends out three men from each remaining tribe to scout out the land and divide it into seven equal parts. Once they return with the descriptions of the land and their new borders, Joshua casts lots for which tribe will live where. The first tribe to be picked was Benjamin, which received the territory between Joseph and Judah. Benjamin's territory included the city of Jericho.

At first when I started reading this passage, I got the impression that the men would go out from each tribe and choose where they wanted to live. As I continued to read, however, I realized that they had to actually divide up the land evenly because they did not know to which tribe each plot of land would go.

I hate the entire idea of casting lots. This is probably because I like to have control over situations, especially something as serious as the location of my people for, what I at the time perceive to be, forever. Although I have become fairly good at giving things up to God once I wrap my head around the idea of Him knowing what's best for me, but leaving it up to Him by lots just seems so...I don't know. Maybe I just don't trust Him enough yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment