2/2/09

Day 16 - February 2/09

Joshua 16 & 17

These two chapters consist of the land disbursement of Ephraim and Manasseh, the two half-tribes deriving from Joseph. The first story that struck me was that of the five daughters of Zelophehad who, because they had no brothers, asked for their own portion of land and it was given to them. Second, the sons of Joseph came before Joshua and said that even though they were one tribe, they were a numerous people who did not have enough room in the land they were given. Because of their request, Joshua also permitted for them to have the entire hill country as well.

I also found some challenging parts in this passage. The men of Ephraim failed to drive the Canaanites out of the land, so they were made laborers instead. Once again, they do not have enough faith to follow through and trust that God will take care of them and give the victory. Then, when they are given the hill country, Joseph's tribe complains that the Canaanites living there have chariots and will never be driven out. Joshua tells them to get their act together and fight for their land.

In both of the first situations I mentioned, the people asked and they received. God never withholds good things from His children who love and obey Him! Sometimes it may seem like He isn't giving us what we want, but that's only because He knows far better than we do what will be good for us. I suck at trusting that He has better things coming for me. And I'm terrible at asking for what I really want. I think I need to start praying a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment