2/11/09

Day 23 - February 11/09

Joshua 23 & 24

Joshua is now very old and knows that he will soon die. He sends for all the leaders of various kinds from all over Israel and gives them instructions on how to live. Joshua brings up once again all the ways God has kept His promises to them, and how, if they continue to abide in His law, they will have life to the fullest in the land and their enemies will continue to fall before them. However, if they do not obey the Lord, their enemies will trap them into worshiping other gods and will bring God's wrath down upon them. Then Joshua calls all the people to him, speaks a brief message of God's faithfulness, and asks the people if they will enter into covenant with Him. The people choose to throw away their other gods and only serve God. A list of laws is drawn up, a stone is set to remind them of their words, and the people are sent back to their land. At this time Joshua dies and is buried in the Promised Land.

At one point Joshua is telling Israel that they have their choice who they will serve. After all God has done for them, they can either choose Him or any god they want, but it is on them. His final statement, however, is: "But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (24:15b). It's a strong proclamation to declare allegiance from his entire family, but Joshua does it. He is being an example to the people of how to live before God: recklessly abandoned.

I want to live reckless before God! I want to be abandoned to His will and stop thinking about my own wants. He is so much bigger than me and has so many plans, yet I don't fully let Him in. He took care of Israel even in their times of greatest rebellion. I'd like to think He'll still look out for me too.

I like this praying-typing thing. I think I'll keep it up for a bit and see how it goes.
Dear God, give me the perseverance to always put You before me and to trust that you will take care of me through the rough times. Just as the man with a son who was full of evil spirits cried out: "I do believe, help my unbelief!" (9:24), please give me the faith to go on believing in you during the dry times. Please show me how to walk in Your ways. For Israel, it was only serving you. Help me to turn away from the things that would keep me from drawing near to you.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment