3/9/09

Day 36 - March 9/09

Judges 16

Samson first sleeps with a prostitute, then falls in love with another Philistine woman. Delilah, influenced by money and the rulers of her people, begs Samson to tell her the secret of his strength. He lies to her many times, until he finally becomes "tired to death" (16:16). At this point, he reveals that the secret of his strength is in his hair, and Delilah uses it against him to subdue him. When Samson's hair is cut, the Spirit leaves him. When he dies, Samson receives strength one more time, bringing down the temple of the Philistines and killing thousands.

Of all the accounts of the judges, Samson's story seems to be the most messed up. Although he destroyed those who oppressed Israel, he was constantly falling prey to his weakness: foreign women.

We all have weaknesses, and I feel as if I am always falling to the same ones. God can still use me, but I think He'd prefer me obeying Him. It makes me wonder how much more Samson could have accomplished by obeying God rather than constantly seeking vengeance and loving those he was called not to.

God, give me the strength to not give into all the old patterns, but to be constantly following your way.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment