3/4/09

Day 33 - March 4/09

Judges 11

"And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: 'If you give the ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.'"

Jephthah made a rash vow before God, and it ended up costing him. For his foolishness, when he returned home he was greeted by his only child. She consented to what had to be done to her, was allowed two months in the wilderness to mourn her premature death, and was sacrificed.

I see two parts of this story that apply to me. First, I've tried to bargain with God in the past, or convince Him by promising to give up things without realizing what the consequences may be. I don't know what form that may take, and it should be enough to simply ask God for what it is I need. Second, I don't know if I could ever consent to death the way Jephthah's daughter did. Do I hold back from God, or does my life truly belong to Him?

God, please give me wisdom so that my words aren't rash. Help me to understand Your will and to give up to you everything I'm still holding onto, including my life.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment