1/23/09

Day 9 - January 23/09

Joshua 10

The King of Jerusalem, upon hearing that Gibeon had made peace with Joshua, decided to take the offensive stance and attack Gibeon with four other kings. Israel came to their aid and everyone from the five kingdoms was killed, either by the sword of Israel or hail that God sent down from heaven. During the battle, Joshua prayed for the sun to be stopped in the sky so that they may have the victory by day. God consented, and the sun stayed up what appears to be an extra 24 hours. The five kings, however, had retreated to a cave in Makkedah and were in hiding. Right before killing them, Joshua once again quotes God's "strong and courageous" speech. From there, the Israelites go on to conquer all of Southern Palestine, all in God's perfect timing and with His help.

God took Joshua's disobedience with Gibeon and turned it into an opportunity for His glory. Those five mighty kings were lured into the open and were able to be defeated all at once. God is never surprised by our actions and mistakes, nor does He suddenly go into a panic and hastily change plans which don't work out for the best. God knows the end from the beginning, and He is never taken by surprise. It's an immense comfort to know that this very second that I'm typing in was already known about before my birth. He knows me well enough to already know the decisions I will make, and He loves me despite my greatest downfalls. When I think of the things I've done that were less than satisfying the God's holiness, I can't believe anyone could know those things and still care for me. Yet here is this Almighty God who not only knows my actions, but every thought and motive of my heart...and He still calls me His little girl. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment