1/19/09

Day 5 - January 19/09

jJoshua 6

The day has finally come for Israel to battle Jericho. The king and all his warriors have shut themselves within the walls, and Joshua is given the game plan. They arise early for six days, with the armed men, priests, common people and the Ark of the Covenant walking once in a circle around the walled city. They do this in complete silence, except for the blowing of seven priestly trumpets. Then, on the seventh day, all the people walk around the city seven times. And on the seventh time, the priests blow their trumpets and the Israelites let out a loud shout and the walls crumble. Everything in the city is destroyed except for the precious metals, which go into the Lord's treasury, and Rahab's family.

Joshua followed God's commands exactly. It is logical to think that he may have experienced some doubt as to whether this plan would work, but never once does scripture say that he questioned God or asked for another plan of attack. They must have looked ridiculous walking around the city in silence, day after day. Despite how silly he must have felt, Joshua still kept to God's orders and followed through. If they had gone to war, the Israelites probably would have lost some of their own soldiers in the battle, so instead God kept them at a safe distance where not one of their company was lost.

God's ways are not my ways. Sometimes He asks me to do something and it makes absolutely no sense to me. The thing I need to work on is trusting God that because He knows the ins and outs of everything on the planet, He can be trusted to know what will work out in the end. So even when I don't understand His logic, it's alright because I'm not meant to; He is so far beyond me. If He meant for me to know His mind, He would let me in on it. This means that I need to be content with the little knowledge He has given me and simply trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment