1/14/09

Day 1 - January 14/09

Joshua 1

Moses has just passed away, and Joshua is taking command of the Israelites in his stead. Verses two through nine are God giving Joshua a pep-talk on what it will take to lead the people. God first speaks of leading the Hebrews into the land of promise and taking it from those who currently occupy it. Joshua is then encouraged to have faith in God that He will not abandon Joshua, but will have his back and support him. The rest of the chapter is Joshua preparing the men to fight for the land, and commanding those tribes who have already settled to remain faithful to their word and help their brothers capture their land.

"Be strong and courageous..." is repeated by God three times within four verses, which must mean it's important. God is so wanting for Joshua to trust Him and rely on Him that He is telling him not even to go as far as to "tremble or be dismayed." That's hard! But God is giving this man a huge calling and asking for his trust. Then, at the end of the chapter when the Israelites are swearing their allegiance to Joshua, they say "only be strong and courageous" almost as a war chant or a reminder of how they are to act.

God is not speaking of human strength or mortal courage, but the might and fearlessness that come from trusting in an almighty Father who is guiding them and who they can rest in. That is where their strength comes from. In the face of seemingly impossible odds, the Israelites are being asked to fight for the land God is giving to them. It is in their undeniable weakness that God is able to show His strength; it is He who makes them strong and courageous.

Sometimes I feel as if there is no way I can go on anymore. I'm not facing mighty armies and the possibility of imminent death, but I still get so discouraged. God promises success when I "turn neither to the left or to the right" and says that he is with me wherever I go. If I look at this example of God coming through on His word, already knowing that He doesn't abandon Joshua, then I can trust that God will do the same for me. I know that even when I've screwed up bad in the past, I can still hear His voice and He doesn't abandon me. So whenever I become all dismayed and full of trembles, I can fall back on this passage and know that my strength comes from Someone who is bigger than any of my troubles could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment