1/16/09

Day 3 - January 16/09

Joshua 3 & 4

The Israelites are preparing to cross the Jordan River into the Promise Land, and God lets Joshua know that He will show a sign so as to reveal to the people that Joshua is the new leader in place of Moses and has just as much of a relationship with God. When the priests carrying the Ark of the Covenant go first to cross the river, the water immediately dries up. The priests stay in the middle of the river until all of Israel has passed on dry land.
After the people have crossed the Jordan, Joshua sends 12 men, one each for the tribes of Israel, back into the dry river to all bring back a large stone. Joshua then used the stones to build a tribute to how God allowed the Israelites to cross the river on dry land; because of this, just as God had said, the people revered Joshua as they had Moses. Joshua did not take the credit for himself, however. He gave all the glory to God and hoped that because of His great actions, the world may know how mighty God is.

I know from experience that being in a place of leadership with others relying on me is not easy, and that's without a following of more than a million people and a recently deceased predecessor who was beloved by the people who are now under my charge. Despite the odds, Joshua took on the responsibility of Israel and relied on God to turn the people's hearts and trust in his favour. Even when the going gets tough and I don't feel like I am the influence I should be, or even someone worthy of leadership, I know that I can count on God to put me in the place I belong, whether that be in a leadership position or somewhere in the background for awhile. Joshua trusted God and He came through, so I'd like to believe that if I trust God in the same way He will do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment