12/4/10

Day 25

I skipped yesterday. On purpose. Ugh. I know.
...Not gonna let it get me down!


Rom. 13-16

Romans 13:14 - "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts."
Put Him on...wear Him. How do I wear Jesus and do the things He hates? How do I have Holy Spirit in me and think the way He hates? That's a challenge, do better!

Romans 14:19 - "So then let us pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another."
It is so easy here to get caught up in the game of tearing each other down. I know I've been with people before who seemed to think it was their sole purpose in life. I don't want to be like that. I really don't...and so many times I fail miserably.

Romans 16:19b - "I want you to be wise in what is good, and innocent in what is evil."
So many times I have heard (even from my own mouth) that we should try something to "know what it's like" or so we can "relate better" and "know what they're all going through." Pretty sure that's not what Paul is saying. At all.


Catch-up:
Mk. 7

Mark 7:37 - "And they were utterly astonished, saying, 'He has done all things well; He makes even the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak.'"
I think this concept has been lost on our culture. Someone who never heard a thing in their life can suddenly hear. A man who has never spoken a word to anyone is suddenly able to speak completely coherently. Why are we not more amazed?!?!

Mark 8:21 - "And He was saying to them, 'Do you not yet understand?'"
I see Jesus as very sad here. They were worried about food immediately after seeing the four thousand fed and a seemingly short time since the five thousand. How soon they forgot! How little they understood of His character. How little I understand Him at all.

Mark 8:36 - "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?"
This is one of my favourite verses of all time. This version especially I just love the wording of. Gain the whole world, but forfeit his soul. Forfeit...like when there are too few players on a team or there is no point in a humiliating defeat. Forfeit, as in freely give up. It's not a loss, it's a giveaway. Eternity is a long time, as I am discovering. There is no profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment